Assisi is a town and comune of Italy in the province of Perugia in the Umbria region, on the western flank of Monte Subasio.It was the birthplace of St. Francis, who founded the Franciscan religious order in the town in 1208, and St. Clare (Chiara d'Offreducci), the founder of the Poor Sisters, which later became the Order of Poor Clares after her death. The 19th-century Saint Gabriel of Our Lady of Sorrows was also born in Assisi.Now the site of many a pilgrimage, Assisi is linked in legend with its native son, St. Francis. The gentle saint founded the Franciscan order and shares honors with St. Catherine of Siena as the patron saint of Italy. Basilica of San Francesco d'Assisi(St. Francis), Santa Maria Maggiore (St. Mary the Greater), Cathedral of San Rufino (St. Rufinus), Basilica of Santa Chiara (St. Clare), Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli (St. Mary of the Angels), Chiesa Nuova, Santo Stefano, Eremo delle Carceri, Church of San Pietro (St. Peter) are major churches in Assisi. Piazza del Comune,Roman amphitheater, Temple of Minerva, abbey of St. Benedict are the other sights of Assisi.
Festival Calendimaggio, held on 1–5 May, is a re-enactment of medieval and Renaissance life in the form of a challenge between the upper faction and the lower faction of the town. It includes processions, theatrical presentations, flag-weavers and dances.Assisi Embroidery is a form of counted-thread embroidery which has been practised in Assisi since the 13th century.Assisi was the home of several saints.They are Agnes of Assisi, Clare of Assisi, Francis of Assisi, Gabriel of Our Lady of Sorrows, Rufinus of Assisi, Vitalis of Assisi, Sylvester of Assisi.Assisi has had a rich tradition of art through the centuries and is now home to a number of well known artistic works.Artists Pietro Lorenzetti and Simone Martini worked shoulder to shoulder at Assisi.The Basilica of San Francesco d'Assisi includes a number of artistic works.The town is dominated by two medieval castles. The larger, called Rocca Maggiore, is a massive presence meant to intimidate the people of the town: it was built by Cardinal Albornoz (1367) and expanded by popes Pius II (polygonal tower, 1458) and Paul III (the cylindrical bastion near the entrance, 1535-1538). The smaller of the two was built in Roman era: it has been only partially reserved, a small portion and three towers being open to the public.